These Healthy Apple Muffins, made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, applesauce, and maple syrup, will become your new favourite apple recipe.
Are Muffins Healthy?
Muffins are a unique type of cuisine. Occasionally, grocery stores may pass off cake without frosting as a muffin. So you think you’re getting something nutritious when you’re actually getting dessert. Cake is designed to have a different texture than muffins. And instead of processed sugar, maple syrup is used to make these nutritious apple muffins. There’s no need for a lot of sugar or fat in a great muffin. Instead of concealing the exquisite taste of the apples with an overly sugary sugar flavour, this muffin brings it out. Fruit, as well as nutrient-dense ingredients like whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and walnuts, are included in these apple muffins.
Here are some other suggestions for producing a healthy muffin:
- Fruit can help to reduce the amount of oil in your body. Applesauce is a terrific oil substitute that adds a lot of moisture and flavour to your dish.
- Use whole wheat flour or a combination of the two. This gives your muffin fibre as well as a variety of vitamins and minerals.
- To enhance nutrition, add nutritious add-ins. Chopped fruit, shredded vegetables (such as carrots or zucchini), almonds, and dark chocolate chips all contribute to the nutritional value of your muffins.
What Apple variety is best for baking?
Is it important to use different sorts of apples in baked goods? Yes! It has an impact on the texture and sweetness of your baked goods. In a recipe like this, the apple will provide the majority of the sweetness, so choose a sweet apple. I used Honeycrisp apples since I like how they bake and how sweet they are. Granny Smith apples are always a good choice, but they’re acidic, which is why most people choose to combine them with sweeter apples in their pies. There are tonnes of fantastic apple selections; just see what’s available at your local grocery store, and these Healthy Apple Muffins will be a success!You can also try our Healthier Caramel Apple Cake!
Here are a few more good apple varieties to use when baking:
- Granny Smith
- Golden Delicious
Nuts in Muffins
This recipe contains walnuts because I enjoy walnuts with all of the pleasant fall aromas. If you or your kids do not enjoy them as much as I do, leave them out; the muffin recipe will not be affected. You can also use a different nut in place of the walnuts. I prefer to use nuts in muffins because they give texture and protein. It keeps me fuller for longer, so I don’t wind up nibbling on whatever I can find after 30 minutes. If your kids aren’t fond of nuts, you can always finely slice them.
What Can You Serve with Muffins for Breakfast?
Warm or cold, with honey butter or jam, these are delicious. Our muffins are best served with a side of eggs. A boiled egg is a wonderful option if you’re in a hurry. Scrambled eggs, on the other hand, go great with them. If eggs aren’t attractive to your children, a smoothie with protein-rich components is also a wonderful option.
How to Make the Best Apple Muffins
When it comes to muffins, the difference between an excellent muffin and an ok muffin comes down to a few processes and time spent in the kitchen. Your apple muffins will be fantastic if you follow some of these procedures.
- Select the appropriate apple variety.
- Fill your muffin tray close to the top if you want a full, rounded muffin.
- If you want to fill your tins to the brim, make sure your batter is rather thick. A thin batter will rise and splatter all over the place.
- To ensure that the muffins cook evenly, try to measure out the same amount of batter for each one.
- Make sure your wet and dry ingredients aren’t overmixed! Your muffin will not be light and fluffy if you overmix it.
Can You Freeze Apple Muffins?
One of our favourite foods to freeze is muffins. It’s very convenient to have a muffin on hand on a hectic school morning that only takes 30 seconds to reheat. We’ve discovered that the following tips for freezing and thawing muffins work incredibly well:
- Allow the muffins to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Before packaging muffins in an airtight container, place them flat in the freezer for about an hour, or until they are mostly frozen.
- To keep air out, place your muffins in an airtight container like a ziploc bag or a glass dish.
- Muffins can be frozen for up to three months.
To Defrost (a few different methods)
- Let your muffin to thaw at room temperature before using. It should take roughly 30 minutes.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Wrap your muffin in foil and bake it for 10 minutes at 350°F.
Ingredients - 2 cup flour, whole wheat - 2 teaspoon baking soda - 1 teaspoon baking powder - 2 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon - 1 teaspoon salt - 3 large egg - 2/3 cup maple syrup, pure - 1/3 cup coconut oil - 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened - 2 tsp vanilla extract - 2 cup, grated apple - 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Instructions 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the wells. 2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, apple sauce and vanilla extract. 4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and slowly fold together. Before it’s all combined, add grated apples and walnuts (or you can use pecans). Stir just until combined. 5. Fill muffin tins all the way to the top! Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes and then decrease the temperature to 350 and bake for 12-18 minutes. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 6. Let cool and serve.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 342mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g
- What is the healthiest muffin to eat?
The healthiest muffin is prepared with healthy grains and contains very little sugar and fat. For a healthy muffin, try Blueberry Muffins or Protein Muffins.
- Are muffins healthy?
Muffins are notorious for being heavy in calories, fat, and sugar. True, many store-bought muffins are high in calories – often around 400 or more per muffin. However, they are simple to incorporate into a balanced eating regimen.
- What kind of apples are best for muffins?
Granny Smith apples are a good choice for muffins because they have a tangy flavour that cuts through the sweetness of most morning muffins. Another favourite is Stemilt’s Piata® Apples, which have a sweet, tangy flavour with a tropical edge.
- What ingredient makes muffins Fluffy?
Why? Room temperature eggs, butter, and milk help make a smooth mixture that traps air and expands when baked in the oven. Your muffins will be fluffy and light as a result of the expansion.